The Keoratala Burning Ghat, Kalighat is one of the largest crematorium grounds in Kolkata. It was established in 1862 beside the bank of Adi Ganga and considered to be the cleanest and peaceful cremation ground. It has numerous tombs and memorials of notable people such as Satyajit Ray, Suchitra Sen and others.
How to reach the crematorium
Address: 113, Near Keoratala Post Office, Tollygunge Road, Kalighat, Kolkata
Closest landmarks: Axis bank ATM
Nearby hospital: Matri Bhavan Hospital, Ram Krishna Sarada Matri Hospital
The procedure at Keoatala Burning Ghat
What are the procedures you need to follow in Keoratala Burning Ghat? Here are the following:
- As in most of the cremation grounds, online services are not available here too. So, all the bookings of the slot are done offline on the basis of first come priorities.
- A compulsory doctor document is required of the deceased person.
- The burning of the dead body takes 1-1.5 hours from both the electric and wooden process and later, you can collect the ashes.
- It is mandatory to submit a photo ID proof of the deceased to the crematorium manager.
- After completion of the cremation, death certificate then and there.
Steps to follow inside the crematorium
When you are inside the crematorium, what are the steps you majorly needs to follow to the funeral done correctly.
Here are the steps to guide you through.
Step 1: Meet the crematorium manager at the office
Step 2: Check for the slot availability. If a slot is available, proceed by buying samagri and contact a priest inside the cremation ground.
Step 3: Wait in the waiting place if the slot is not available. As soon as your turn comes, proceed by taking the deceased on a stretcher to the electric or wooden chamber.
What are the costs of the funeral services provided by the cremation ground?
- The registration cost of adult electric cremation is Rs. 250 and for wooden cremation it is Rs. 220.
- The registration fee of minor electric cremation is Rs 130 and for minor wooden cremation is Rs 80.
- The registration fee for an infant burial is Rs 50.
- Wooden cremation charges for the adult is Rs 2392 and for child it is Rs 1200.
They provide basic facilities like drinking water, waiting place and parking place.